Lipikaar is a simple & intuitive method for typing in Indian languages using a regular English keyboard. It is based on a simple assumption – if you can write in your language, then you can type in your language with Lipikaar.
- Simple, easy to use and intuitive typing solution.
- Designed for professional use.
- Supports 18 languages – Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Assamese, Gujarati, Oriya, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Sanskrit, Nepali, Konkani, Sindhi, Kashmiri, Arabic and Urdu.
- Lipikaar is based on simple rules which allow you to type words accurately. With Lipikaar, even the most complicated word can be typed effortlessly in seconds.
- Unlike transliteration, Lipikaar gives users complete control over typing.
- No fluency in English is required. Lipikaar encourages users to think in their language.
- Works offline. No dependency on Internet connection.
- No memorizing key positions. Unlike Inscript Keyboards, there is no need to memorize the character mapping. Based on 3 simple rules, Lipikaar is intuitive and helps in quick typing.
- Lipikaar is a patented solution & is based on Unicode (universal standard for representing text in different scripts).
Lipikaar is based on 3 simple typing rules:
- Type the closest sounding key repeatedly till you see the desired script character. (Similar to how one would type an SMS in feature phones)
- To join two characters, type x between them.
- Type z for special characters.
Using just these 3 rules one can type any word in their language.
Detailed typing guide and mapping table is provided here – Typing Guide
Lipikaar is based on Unicode (universal standard for representing text in different scripts) and is not dependent on a particular font. Hence a document created using Lipikaar can be viewed on another machine on which Lipikaar is not installed.
The problem is that Unicode fonts are not available. The characters appear as boxes or question marks.
To fix this click here –
Lipikaar comes with a per PC license. Once purchased, it can be used on a single machine without any additional charges.
We support multiple modes of payment – both online (Credit Card, Netbanking, Paypal) and offline (Cheque/Cash Deposit, Electronic Fund Transfer, Cash on Delivery).
To purchase Lipikaar, click here – Lipikaar Software Purchase
Transliteration is a method in which you spell the pronunciation of the (local language) word in English. The algorithm then converts the word into required script. There are several problems with this approach:
Transliteration is suitable for common words that can be spelled easily. However for words that are not part of our everyday conversation, figuring out the correct English spelling may not be as simple. Typing words accurately may require a trial and error approach and thus making it unsuitable for professional use.
Lipikaar is based on simple rules which allow you to type words accurately. With Lipikaar, even the most complicated word can be typed effortlessly in seconds.
- Fluency in English
Transliteration requires users to have fluency in English so that they can spell the word phonetically.
Lipikaar only requires you to know the phonetic sounds of the English alphabets so that you can use the regular English keyboard and type in your language without using stickers. Lipikaar encourages users to think in their language.
- Silent Characters
There are many silent characters in languages like Malayalam, Tamil and other Indic scripts which may have different spellings but they are phonetically quite different. For an intelligent transliteration algorithm, it becomes difficult to interpret these words.
- Writing Names, Addresses and other non-dictionary words
Since transliteration is based on a dictionary approach, typing names, addresses and other non-dictionary or hybrid words becomes difficult. Once you know the basic rules of Lipikaar, you can type any word with ease.
Hence transliteration is more suitable for users who think in English and is meant for typing common words and few sentences.
Lipikaar is a simplified typing method for both monolingual and bilingual users. The tool is designed for professional use. Our vision is to encourage extensive usage of Indian languages beyond a casual remark or a phrase.